PictureSpennymoor
  Records > Kelly's 1890 Directory : Cornforth
  <Back to Records

Cornforth

CORNFORTH is a parish, formed out of Bishop Middleham and Kelloe, Sep. 1868, comprising the townships of CORNFORTH and THRISLINGTON and portions of CASSOP and QUARRINGTON, situated 5 miles north-west from Sedgefield, half a mile from Thrislington station on the Hartlepool and Ferry Hill section of the North Eastern railway and 2 miles east from Ferry Hill station on the main line of the same ailway, in the Mid division of the county, union of Sedgefield, county court district and petty sessional division of Durham, rural deanery of Easington and archdeaconry and diocese of Durham. The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in. 1868, is in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a belfry, situated at the east end of the nave, and containing1 one bell: Mr. JT P, Pritchett, of Darlington, was the architect; there are 320 sittings. The register dates from the year 1868. The living is a vicarage, value 300, with residence in the gift of the Crown Bishop alternately, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Thomas Norcliffe Roberts B.A. of the University of Durham. The Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. Joseph, Patrick and Cuthbert, is a gothic building, erected in 1874: the altar was presented by Pope Pius IX, with two pictures, representing the Flight of the Holy Family into Egypt; there are also paintings of St. Patrick and the other patron saints: the Rev. Edward Walsh, who attends Trimdon, is the priest. Here are Weslyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The manorial rights and land are held by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The area is 1689 acres; rateable value, 11,696; the population in 1881was 2,533.

POST, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. John Mohon, postmaster. Letters through Ferry Hill arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 2.15 & 6.45 p.m.

INSURANCE AGENT Pearl Life, R.P. Armitage

A School Board of 5 members, for the united districts of Cornforth & Thrislington, was formed in 1880; James Chambers, Durham, clerk to the board.

Board School (mixed & infants), built in 1870, for 600 children; average attendance, 140 boys, 130 girls & and about 150 infants; Herbert Bownass, master; Mrs. Mary Wilkinson, mistress.

Railway Station, Thrislington, Wm. Brown, station master.

Back to top ^