|Records > Kelly's 1890 Directory : Croxdale & Hett|
Croxdale & Hett
CROXDALE is a parish, formed Sep. 5, 1843, from the parishes of St. Oswald, Durham,
and Merrington, and consists of the township of SUNDERLAND BRIDGE in the former awl HETT in the latter
parish, in the Mid division of the county, south-east division of Darlington ward, Durham union, county court
district and petty sessional division, rural deanery, archdeaconry and diocese of Durham.|
Sunderland Bridge occupies a pleasant position on the ridge of a hill, and by the side of the river Wear, here crossed by a stone bridge of four arches, and has station on the main line of the North Eastern railway, 3 miles south-by- west from Durham and 8 from Bishop Auckland. The church of St. Bartholomew is a modern building of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and a tower at the west end of the aisle, with shingled spire, and containing 2 small bells : the base of the tower forms a porch: the stained east window, erected by John and Sarah Ann Rogerson, is a memorial to Charles Barrass and Sarah Edith, their children, who died at Croxdale Hall May, 1877 : on the north side is a memorial window to Elizabeth, wife of the Rev. E. Greatorex, present rector, who died in 1888, and in the vestry a small one to the Rev. Henry Chaytor, 33 years rector here, dated 1869: there are 412 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1696. The living is a rectory, yearly value £300 with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, and held by the Rev. Edward Greatorex M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford, and minor canon of Durham Cathedral. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Croxdale Colliery, erected in 1877, seating 400 persons; there is also a Reading Room, well supplied with the local papers, magazines etc. and containing a small library; it is supported by subscription. The mineral springs at BUTTERBY, in this parish, appear to have been first noticed by Camden in 1607 (“Britannia”, ed. Gough, 1789, p. 105), where he says that at this place, and almost in the middle of the bed of the river Wear, was a spring of reddish salt water, from which, by evaporation, the people of the locality obtained salt. About 120 yards distant from this spring was a sulphur spring, which in 1684 was much frequented, and in 1807 an analysis of the water was made by W. R. Clanny M.D. of Durham. In a field adjoining the manor house of Butterby many stone coffins and other relics have been found, and are supposed to indicate the former existence here of a hospital, dedicated to St. Leonard. Croxdale Hall, the property of Captain Salvin, but in the occupation of John Rogerson esq. J.P. commands a most extensive view of the beautiful scenery towards the south-east, and overlooks a densely-wooded dull: the grounds are tastefully arranged: attached to the hall is a Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. Herbert, and seating 200 persons. The ancient chapel of the pariah, situated near the hall, is retained by the Salvin family, and used as a mortuary, they having given in exchange the site on which the church of St. Bartholomew now stands. Captain Henry Thomas Thornton Salvin J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mostly light; subsoil, sand and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and grass. The area of the township in 1,442 acres; rateable value, £6,248; the population in 1881 was 1,372. The area of the parish 152,720 acres; the population in. 1881 was 1,710. HETT is a village and township about 4 miles smith-by-west from Durham and 1 mile south-west from Croxdale station. Butcher Race is in this township. Here is a small Mission church, in which divine service is held in the afternoon at 3 p.m. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are the lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Viscount Boyne, the trustees of the late James Lockey, Ralph Richardson, Anthony Wilkinson esqrs. and Mrs. Laverick. The area is 1,279 aces; rateable value, £2,596; the population, in 1881 was 338. POST OFFICE, Sunderland Bridge.—Miss Mary Dryden, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive through Durham at 8.15 a.m. & dispatched at 5,5p.m. The nearest money order office is at Tudhoe Colliery & telegraph office at Spennymoor.
WALL LETTER Box, Hett, cleared at 4 p.m.
WALL LETTER Box, Croxdale Colliery, cleared at 4.45 p.m.
A School Board of 7 members was formed for the parish in 1877 ; William Jones Malcolm, clerk to the board, Easington ; William Hopkins, attendance officer.
Board School (mixed & infants), Croxdale Colliery, erected in 1879, for 350 boys & girls & 80 infants ; average attendance, 150 boys & girls & 70 infants; Wm. Wightman master ; Miss Elsie Mormon, infants' mistress
Railway Station, Anthony Turnbull. station master.
Back to top ^