|Records > Kelly's 1910 Directory : Croxdale|
Croxdale - 1910
Croxdale is a parish formed September 5th 1843, from the parishes of St. Oswald, Durham and Merrington, and consists of the townships of Sunderland Bridge in the former and Hett in the latter parish, in the Mid division of the county, south-east division of Darlington Ward, Durham union, county court district and petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery, archdeaconry and diocese of Durham.
Sunderland Bridge occupies a pleasant position on the ridge of a hill and by the side of the river Wear, here crossed by a stone bridge of four arches, and has a station on the main line of the North Eastern Railway, 3 miles south-by-west from Durham and 8 from Bishop Auckland.
The Church of St. Bartholomew is a modern building of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and tower at the west end of the aisle, with shingled spire, and containing two small bells: the base of the tower forms a porch: the stained east window, erected by John and Sarah Ann Rogerson, is a memorial to Charles Barrass and Sarah Edith, their children who died at Croxdale Hall, May 1877: there is a memorial window to Elizabeth(d. 2888), wife of the late Reverend Greatorex M.A. rector here 1872-1900 and one erected in 1897 to commemerate his 25 years’ ministry in this parish: in the vestry is a small window to the Reverend Henry Chaytor, thirty three years a rector here, dated 1869. The living is a rectory, net yearly value one hundred and twenty pounds, with residence in the gift of the dean and Chapter of Durham, and held since 1909 by Reverend Hugh Hornby Birley M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. Here is a Catholic Chapel, dedicated to St. Herbert. There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel at Croxdale Colliery, erected in 1877, seating 400 persons, and a Reading Room, containing a small library.
The mineral springs at Butterby, in this parish, appear to have been first noticed by Camden in 1607(“Britannia,” ed. Gough, 1789, p. 105), where he says that at this place, and almost in the middle of the bed of the River Wear, was a spring of reddish salt water, from which evaporation, the people of the locality obtained salt. About 120 yards distant from this spring was a sulphur spring, which in 1684 was much frequented, and in 1807 an analysis of the water was made by W.R. Clanny M.D. of Durham. In a field adjoining the manor house of Butterby many stone coffins and other relics have been found, and are supposed to indicate the former existence here of an hospital, dedicated to St. Leonard. Croxdale Hall, the property and residence of Gerard Thornton Salvin esq. Commands a most extensive view of the beautiful scenery towards the south-east, and overlooks, a densely wooded dell: the grounds are tastefully arranged: attached to the hall is a Catholic Chapel, dedicated to St. Herbert, and seating 200 persons. The ancient chapel of the parish, situated near the hall, is retained by the Salvin family, and used as a mortuary, they having given in exchange the site on which the Church of St. Bartholomew now stands. About half a mile from Croxdale Hall , on a lofty eminence commanding a fine view of the valley of the Wear, is Croxdale Wood house, the residence of S.T. Stephens esq. J.P. Gerard T. Salvin esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mostly light; subsoil, sand and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and some pasture land. The area of Sunderland bridge township is 1,407 acres of land and 31 of water; rateable value, six thousand two hundred and twenty three pounds; the population in 1901 was 1,402.
The population of Croxdale ecclesiastical parish in 1901 was 1,771
Post & M.O. Croxdale Colliery - John William Huitson, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Durham at 8 .20 a.m. & 5 p.m. & dispatched at 4 .45 & 10 .40 a.m. & 5 & 6 .50 p.m.; no Sunday delivery. The nearest telegraph office is at Tudhoe Colliery, 1 mile distant
Post Office Sunderland Bridge - Peter Cleary, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Durham at 8 .10 a.m. & 5 .10 p.m. & dispatched at 10 .35 a.m. & 5 .5 & 7 p.m.; no Sunday delivery.
Constable in charge, Joseph Edward Wray Hett is a village and township about 4 miles south-by-west from Durham and 1 mile south-west from Croxdale Station. Butcher race is in this township. Here is a small Mission Church, in which divine service is held on Sundays, and a cemetry of half and acre. The principal landowners are Viscount Boyne, John Hadley esq. Of Mount Haley, Ralph Richardson esq. Of Field House, West Rainton, and Anthony Wilkinson esq. Of Sheraton, Castle Eden. The area is 1,279 acres; rateable value, six thousand six hundred and sixty three pounds; the population in 1901 was 369. Wall Letter Box cleared at 4 p.m. Croxdale Colliery is the nearest money order office & Tudhoe Colliery the nearest telegraph office
Public Elementary School
Croxdale Colliery (mixed & infants), erected in 1879, for 150 boys & girls & 80 infants; average attendance 152 boys and girls & 80 infants; William Wightman, master; Miss Lemon, infants’ mistress.
Railway Station, John Palmer, station master.
Back to top ^