|Records > Kelly's 1902 Directory : Tudhoe|
Tudhoe - 1902
TUDHOE is an extensive parish, formed in 1866 from Brancepeth parish, and is bounded on the north by the River Wear, 1 mile north from Spennymoor Station on the Bishop Auckland and Ferry Hill branch of the North Eastern Railway, 4 miles north-east from Bishop Auckland and 6 south of Durham; the parish consists of the townships of Tudhoe and Tudhoe Colliery, and parts of the townships of Ferry Hill and Merrington, in the Mid division of the county, north-west division of Drlington ward, Durham petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Auckland and diocese of Durham. Tudhoe is a ward within the Spennymoor Urban District, having been added to it 31 December, 1894. The church of Holy Innocents, erected in 1866, at a cost of 1,800, is a building of stone, in a modern gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing 1 bell; the east window, with three others on the south side of the chancel, are stained; in the south aisle are two stained windows, a memorial to George Ormston, of Tudhoe Grange, and Mary his wife, and to Fanny , their daughter, wife of Thomas Black, d. Jan. 18 1862, and her children: a memorial window has also been erected by the congregation to the Rev. A. O. Smith: the church was restored during the period 1880-90, at a cost of 595, and will seat 413 persons. The register dates from the year 1866. The living is avicarage, net yearly value 285, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, and held since 1897 by the Rev. Peter Hughes M. A. of Durham University.
The chapel of ease at Tudhoe is an iron building, erected in 1880, and enlarged in 1882 and 1885, at a total cost of 731, and will seat 300 persons: it is served by the clergy of Holy Innocents, Tudhoe.
TUDHOE GRANGE is an ecclesiastical parish, formed May 30 1884, mainly out of the parish of Tudhoe and partly out of the parish of St. Paul, Spennymoor. The church of St. Andrew, erected in the year 1884 at a cost of 3,000, is a building of stone, in Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, west porch and an octagonal embattled tower, with short spire, containing one bell: the church was enlarged in 1891 at a cost of 1,600, and in 1895 a memorial chapel was erected by Mrs. S. C. Baring to her husband, the late Thomas Charles Baring esq. M. A., M. P., J. P. who died in 1891 : there are settings for 700 persons. The register dates from the year 1884. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 300, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Durham, and held since 1901 by the Rev. William Mackman Wykes M. A. of Hatfield Hall, Durham. The Catholic Church, dedicated to St. Charles, is a spacious building of stone, and has a turret containing one bell: there are several stained windows, and sittings for over 700 persons : attached is a burial ground and a residence for the priest : adjacent to the chapel is a certificated poor-law school, usually called “Tudhoe Home,” lately (1902) enlarged, at a cost of 12,000 for 160 children, and conducted by the Sisters of Charity. There are also Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, Welsh Congregational and Presbyterian churches at Low Spennymoor and Mount Pleasant, and Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels and a Temperance Hall at Tudhoe Colliery. A new cemetry of 4 ½ acres was opened in 1894, at a cost of 3,000, and is under the management of Spennymoor Urban District Council. In this cemetry is a cross withn sculptured bas-reliefs, erected by their fellow workmen as a memorial to the men and boys who lost their lives in the lamentable explosion at Tudhoe Colliery, April 18, 1882. The Park Hotel, at Tudhoe Grange, has good running grounds. The Weardale Steel, Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. Have very extensive works here, considerably enlarged in 1896, but with the exception of the blast furnace, are closed. Tudhoe Grange Market, formerly for meat, is now (1902) a very large building being converted into an extensive auction mart; the ground adjoining, about 100 yards square, is let off for travelling circuses, shows &c. The area of Tudhoe township is 1,785 acres; rateable value, 17,707; the population in 1901 was, township 7,652; ecclesiastical parich of Holy Innocents, 6,486, and St. Andrew, Tudhoe Grange, 5,777 in 1891.
TOWN SUB-POST, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Tudhoe Colliery. - Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Kay, sub-post mistress. Letters arrive from Spennymoor at 7. 45 a.m. & 3. 30 & 7. 45 p.m.; dispatched at 8. 30 a.m. & 8 p.m.
Wall Letter Box, Tudhoe Village cleared at 8. 30 & 10. 40 a.m. & 5. 30 & 8 p.m.
The Tudhoe United District School Board of 13 mambers was formed February 11, 1876, & comprises Ferry Hill. Merrington, Merrington Lane, Low Spennymoor, Tudhoe, Whitworth, Whitworth Without; Sam Adams, Bishop Auckland, clerk to the board; F. J. Rowland, N.E. Bank, treasurer; George Peacock, Clyde Terrace, Spennymoor & William Blenkin, King Street, Spennymoor, attendance officers. Board (mixed) Tudhoe Colliery, built in 1875, for 700 children; average attendance 350; Lot Squire, master; Miss E. Smith, infants’ mistress. Board, Mount Pleasant (mixed), built in 1879, for 550 children; average attendance, 420; Anthony Charlton, master; Miss L. Cowley, infants’ mistress. National, Mount Pleasant (boys, girls & infants), built in 1869 & enlarged in 1892, for 527 children, & enlarged 1897, for 707; average attendance 553; Thompson Raine, master; Miss Bland mistress; Mrs. E. Raine, infants’ mistress. Catholic, Tudhoe Grange, built in 1875, for 513 children; average attendance 263; Mrs. E Pickering, head mistress; Mrs. Mary Ann Hunt, infants’ mistress. Wesleyan, Mount Pleasant (mixed), built in 1874, for 365 children; average attendance, 306; Henry Copeland, master; Miss Margaret Robson, mistress. Wesleyan, Tudhoe Iron Works, Tudhoe Grange (mixed), built in 1860, for 220 children; average attendance, 206; George H. Smith, master.
Back to top ^