Records > Whellan & Co 1894 Directory : Tudhoe
  <Back to Records

Tudhoe Parish - 1894

This parish was formed from the parishes of Brancepeth, Merrington, and Ferryhill, in 1866, and embraces the villages of Tudhoe, Tudhoe Colliery, Mount Pleasant, Merrington Lane, and Low Spennymoor. In 1884, the parish of Tudhoe Grange being formed, took in that portion of Tudhoe Grange formerly in this parish, and also part of Mount Pleasant, with the whole of Merrington Lane, and a portion of Spennymoor.

Tudhoe, anciently Tudhowe, township is principally the property of Bryan John Francis Salvin, Esq. Of Burn Hall. Under the Divided Parishes Act, this township received 67 acres from Ferryhill, and is now 1785 acres in area; the rateable value is nineteen thousand four hundred and forty four pounds and the population in 1801 was 219; in 1811, 292; in 1821, 298; in 1831, 237 in 1841, 327; in 1851, 400; in 1861, 1359; in 1871, 5007; in 1881, 7585; and in 1891 was 7653 souls.

This township includes the villages of Tudhoe, Tudhoe Colliery, Mount Pleasant, and that portion of Spennymoor called Tudhoe Grange, which is separated from Whitworth township by the stream running across the east end of High Street.

Tudhoe Iron works and Colliery are the great mainstay of this populous district, and were established in 1853 by the Weardale Iron & Coal Company, Ltd., for the manufacture of iron bars and plates from the spathose ores of Weardale. They have been singularly successful, and the “Tudhoe iron” is well known throughout England, and especially in London, for excellence and quality. Of late years, here as elsewhere, steel has gradually taken the place of iron; so that whereas in 1880 the quantity of steel made at Tudhoe was only 2000 tons, and of iron 17,000 tons, in 1890, only ten years later, the quantity of steel made was 25,000 tons, and 10,000 tons of iron. There are two large blast furnaces, capable of turning out 1400 tons of pig iron every week, seven Siemens-Martin steel furnaces of the largest and most modern type, forty puddling furnaces, four bar mills and sheet mills, two plate mills. At these extensive works there are about 850 men employed.(Very important extensions and improvements have been completed, and are in contemplation). This company work very large coal royalties in various parts of the county. Their total output of coal is 1,300,000 tons, and of coke 450,000. Their Tudhoe Colliery, which gives employment to 1700 men and boys, is working three seams. The Hutton is met at a depth of 50 fathoms, and is 2 ft. Thick; the Busty, seven fathoms, is from 2 to 4ft 6ins., with a seggar band in the middle, which provides clay for the brick works here. The Brockwell is 87 fathoms, and 3ft. 4ins. The output of about 1350 tons per day is one half converted into coke, there being 432 ovens here. Merrington Lane Iron Works is an old industry, having been started over fifty years ago. Here the manufacture of bridge rails and rivet iron is carried on, and employs about 230 men.

The village of Tudhoe is situated near the source of a brook, one mile south of the Wear, and five miles south-south-west from Durham. A fine view of Brancepeth Castle and the north banks of the Wear, and the towers of Durham Cathedral, is obtained from here. Little change has taken place, and the village maintains its rural aspect. The flower show held here is about the oldest in the county. The old Hall now occupied as a farm, has evidently been the manor-house, and residence of the Salvin family.

Mount Pleasant is principally inhabited by those employed at the iron works and collieries, and is one mile south-east from Spennymoor; here is a church, a fine Board School, and the Presbyterian church.

Tudhoe Colliery Village is about a mile and a quarter from Croxdale Station, and adjoins Tudhoe Village on the south-west. It consists of a long row on each side of the road from Durham to Spennymoor, containing a good Board School and two chapels.

Low Spennymoor is a district situated on the boundary road, between the townships of Tudhoe, Ferryhill, and Merrington.

The Church, dedicated to Holy Innocents, is situated in Mount Pleasant, and was built in 1866 at a cost of one thousand seven hundred and eighty eight pounds. Since then extensive alterations and improvements have been made at a further cost of one thousand pounds. The church now consists of nave and chancel, porch and tower, surmounted by a small spire. The porch and tower form part of the improvements; the tower is square and embattled; the east window is filled with stained glass. The church, which stands enclosed in a large burial ground, will seat 413. The living is a vicarage, valued at three hundred pounds, is the gift of the Dean and Chapter, and is held by the Rev. Samuel M’Kinnon Thompson, M. A. The vicarage is a good stone house situated at Tudhoe. There is an iron chapel-of-ease at Tudhoe, erected in 1880, at a cost of six hundred and ten pounds, which will seat 312.

The Catholic Church, at Tudhoe village is a handsome stone edifice, in the Early English and Decorated styles, erected in 1871. It consists of nave and sanctuary, with tower and short spire at the west end. The sanctuary contains four stained glass windows, three of them being memorials and gifts. In the west gable is a beautiful Catherine window of highly decorated design. The gallery for the choir is beneath a large arch. The internal fittings and decorations are chaste, and in keeping with the style of the church. The site for the church and presbttery was given by the late H. M. Salvin, Esq., of Burn Hall, who also gave the purchase money he received for the Orphan Home, which he sold to the diocese, towards the cost of the Church. The presbytery is a good stone house adjoining the church, both being enclosed and well situated. There are seats for 600, and the cost amounted to about five thousand pounds. The Reverend Provost, Joseph Watson is pastor.

The Presbyterian Church of England, is a stone building situated at Mount Pleasant, and was erected in 1864 at a cost of about three thousand six hundred pounds, including day school and manse. The school is not now used as a day school, but is used in connection with the church, and let for various uses. The manse is a good stone house on the same site with the church, having an enclosed garden. The reverend William Keir is minister.

The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Tudhoe Colliery is a good building of stone, built in 1870 at a cost of five hundred pounds, the site being given by the colliery owners, and the cost raised by subscription. This chapel will seat 350.

The Wesleyan Chapel at Low Spennymoor was built about 1874, and is a stone building, capable of seating 800. There is a gallery which runs round the building. The cost, including the day schools behind, amounted to five thousand pounds. The site was given by the Weardale Iron Company.

At Tudhoe Colliery, the Primitive Methodist Chapel is a stone building built in 1870. The site was given by the colliery proprietors, who also gave the stone, which reduced the cost to seven hundred pounds. It is a good building, having seating for 700.

The Primitive Chapel at low Spennymoor was built in 1867, and is a brick building, with seats for about 300.

The National School, Low Spennymoor, for boys, girls, and infants, is a good stone building, erected in 1869, with accommodation for 205 in the boys, 138 in the girls and 97 in the infants. The average attendance is - boys, 134; girls, 133; infants, 90. This school is to be enlarged. At present it consists of three large rooms and two class-rooms.

The Wesleyan School at Mount Pleasant adjoins the chapel, and was built the same year. It is a stone building, for mixed and infants, having accommodation for 400 in all, with 300 average attendants.

Board Schools. - Tudhoe School was built by the Weardale Iron and Coal Co., Limited, in 1876, but was handed over to the Board in 1882. It is a fine stone building, having accommodation for 450 in the mixed department, and 220 in the infants. The average in the former is 180, and 120 in the latter.

The Tudhoe Grange School is a large building of stone, for boys, girls, and infants, built in 1879 at a cost of about four thousand six hundred pounds. In the boys, room is provided for 250, and the attendance is 150; in the girls, for 200, attendance 140; in the infants 200, and attendance 160. The school consists of one large room, two class-rooms, apartments for caretaker, and a Board meeting room.

The Tudhoe Homes for orphan girls is in connection with the Catholic Mission, and was opened in 1867 under the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. Here there are forty girls received from the various unions in the diocese, being allowed from each the average cost of maintenance. The Home is a commodious building adjoining the church, where the student refugees from Douay are believed to have assembled previous to their final settlement at Ushaw College in 1808. It is now diocesan property.

Tudhoe Colliery Literary Institute and library is held in a room granted by the colliery owners. There is a reading room and a recreation room, and a good library containing nearly a 1000 volumes. A good supply of papers and magazines is also provided.

There is a Temperance Hall at Low Spennymoor, which is a stone building.

The Tudhoe and Sunderland bridge Gas Company supplies Tudhoe Colliery, Croxdale Colliery, and Sunderland Bridge, the rate being 3s. 7d. Per 1000 foot. There are two gas-holders of 30,000 and 16,000 cubic feet capacity respectively. There are 50 public lamps also supplied. Tudhoe Grange and Mount Pleasant are supplied with gas by the Spennymoor and Tudhoe Gas Company.

Charities.- This parish receives 19s. from Brabant charity, and one pound from Dobbinson’s charity. Henry Wilson in 1746 bequeathed twenty pounds for the use of the poor of Tudhoe. Interest was annually received for this sum, and devoted to the education of two poor boys of this township. There has not been anything received from this charity for some years. Charles Attwood, by will dated 1875, left, an annuity of twenty five pounds in favour of the incumbent of Tudhoe “for benefit of the poor in physical need.” Owing to delay in receiving the above, there was an accumulation of one hundred and sixty eight pounds extra, which was invested by the present vicar in three percent Consuls, and realises about three pounds four shillings per year, thus raising the value of the charity to twenty Eight Pounds four shillings per annum. These are distributed by the vicar.

This parish participates in the school charities of Brancepeth.

Post, Money Order, and Telegraph Office, Mount Pleasant.- Mrs. Eleanor Jane Rymer, postmistress. Letters delivered here from Spennymoor at 7 A.M. and 5.15 P.M. There are five collections daily for all mails. Sunday, delivered to callers, 8 A.M.; despatched 4.50 P.M.

Post, Money Order Office, Tudhoe Colliery.- Eneas William Harker, postmaster. Letters delivered here from Spennymoor at 7 A.M. and 5 P.M.; cleared 8.30 A.M. and 5.55 and 7.30 P.M.

Back to top ^